This year, the first baby eagle (D12) died from electrocution on a power pole near the nest soon after fledging. It was shocking because of the suddenness, but also because it was a bird that I "knew." The team posted about electrical poles' danger to birds, especially large raptors. With their large wingspan, there's more chance of a bald eagle being electrocuted. A group inspired by D12's passing worked to make poles in the area safer for the fledglings.
Last week another of the clutch was found dead from electrocution: D14 had been equipped with a transmitter and was being tracked like his older sister. He was found in Iowa at the foot of an electrical pole.
The sad blog post is here: http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2012/11/112712-d14-announcement.html
The previous year an eagle (D1) was fitted with a transmitter, and she has returned to her natal home after summering in Canada. Her survival seems even more
A raptor-safe power pole is amazingly simple to make. I hope more people will be inspired by this new tragedy to make their area poles safe: