Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Why Atheists are Angry: Ten Things that Believers are Doing that are Ruining the World
Believers have been working hard at ruining the world of late. We live here too and we don't like the way Christians have been doing things. Other religionists are often just as bad. So if you sense anger from some of us, it's because you've been behaving badly. If you don't want us to be angry, try not being dicks. You can start with these ten things:
These are 10 things that piss us off:
1. Killing people. Jihadists, abortion doctor murderers, presidents who believe they're on a mission from God... they all suck and they're all evil, and they all believe they're going to be rewarded for the horrible things they're doing. So right off: STOP KILLING PEOPLE. Sure, some atheists kill people too but not for atheism. For other reasons (which also suck). But you won't see atheists flying planes into buildings or shooting people at church, and you won't see groups of atheists celebrating some horrible misdeed by a fellow atheist. We want some of you to fuck off and die, but we're not running around offing you ourselves.
knocking on your doors!
3. Semi-universalist "tolerance." Incredibly, people who believe in a god will respect people who believe in a different god more than they'll respect someone who rejects them all. WTF? That makes no sense at all. Those other people disbelieve 99% of gods, just as you do, but one they accept is one that you reject and vice versa. You disagree with them more than you disagree with atheists! At least we agree with you about those other peoples' gods.
4. Creationism/Intelligent Design. If you really believe that evolution is "just a theory" and should be ignored, then please put your money where your mouth is and stop believing in the germ theory of disease transmission. Stop getting vaccinated, taking antibiotics, washing your hands, and drinking treated water. Let's see how soon you change your mind about what "theory" means!
5. Claiming the rights to "family values." Your families are no better than anybody else's and you know it. You get mental illnesses and addictions at the same rate. You divorce at a higher rate. If you're predisposed to a hot temper you believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child" and if you're a softie you don't believe in hitting your kids. It has nothing to do with religion! You pick and choose what "family values" are in your religion based on the ones that you happen to like. And too often your idea of "love" includes telling your children that an invisible magic despot is reading their minds and wants to send them to hell for having the wrong thoughts. Then you perform a ritual that symbolizes (or actually is, depending on your theology) cannibalism. Giving them Christmas presents makes up for this abuse for awhile but wouldn't it be better if you didn't make them afraid eternal punishment before they can even tell time?
6. Bigotry. The KKK and other hate groups claim that God is on their side. 'nuff said.
8. Telling atheists what we believe. We've read your books, but have you read ours? Here's some news: we don't have a catechism. We don't have a list of questions we have to answer to be atheists and we don't have to answer your questions, either. If you insist on asking me where I'll go when I die then I'll have no recourse but to ask you why the Gospels trace Jesus' genealogy through Joseph when he was supposed to have been conceived by God, or why it was okay for Lot to have sex with his daughters but not okay for his wife to look over her shoulder at her former home as it burned. Religion only answers the questions it poses, and the questions beg the answers. Not believing in a god doesn't mean we believe in "nothing." Not believing in the Ten Commandments doesn't mean we have no morality.
9. Accusing us of being arrogant. Okay, so many of us are smarter than you, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know bullshit when you smell it. It's not arrogant to say "I see no evidence for religion so I don't believe in it." It's not even arrogant to say that gods don't exist. At least not more arrogant than saying that other peoples' gods don't exist. In fact I think that believers are the arrogant ones. Not only do you believe in something for which there is no validated proof, but you think that you're smart enough to have chosen the correct belief system, and the correct splinter group as well. Okay, sure your ancestors picked it for you, soaked your culture in it, indoctrinated your parents, and they in turn perpetuated the indoctrination to the point where you have no sense of perspective whatever, but you picked the correct parents! Well done!
There are probably many many more things you do to tick us off but that's a quick list.
Note: This post was inspired by The Human Ape at Darwin Killed God, though the anger is my own.